Wednesday, September 23, 2009

God is Bigger than the Boogie Man

So, let me start out this post by saying that my child sleeps like a champ! Addisyn has been consistently sleeping from 10:30pm - 6:30am and then she'll still go back to sleep at 6:30!! It is wonderful! Now that we're only getting up at 6:30ish, I have found myself unable to go back to sleep so, I've started just getting up to have some time to myself in the peace and quiet....aka "the mom time"! I used to always think it was stupid when EVERY mom I knew would talk about waking up early before their kids so they could have some time to themselves...but now I get it. When I was in college, my thought was always "what better time could you have to yourself than to be sleeping?" but now I too actually enjoy getting up so I can have time to do the things that I won't really be able to do once Addisyn wakes up, Eric leaves for work, and the day gets started. It's fun to have the house to myself to actually eat breakfast, use the bathroon (let's be honest, if you have a screaming baby using the bathroom is not a top priority!), read my Bible...and just think!

So this morning my thought process went to irrational fears. This is because yesterday when I was hanging out with my bestest homie Ally D...our conversation drifted to irrational fears that we've been having lately. Technically, I guess you could say our fears aren't super irrational. I think of irrational as like the fear that you are going to drown in the shower or something...our fears are more just very unlikely.

Allison saw on the news something about some guy that broke into someone's house and beat people up with a baseball bat while they were sleeping...so now she's nervous about people breaking in. I'm scared of having a fire in our house, especially b/c our bedroom is downstairs and Addisyn's is upstairs. Allison and I have had conversations about fear and faith and trust a million times and neither of us are overall fearful people at all!...but thats why these fears are somewhat irrational. Because of it, Allison has become a dead bolt nazi and Addisyn will probably sleep in my room until she's 13! =)

Somehow, all of this made me think this morning of a veggie tales song that I used to sing with my sunday school class..."God is bigger than the booogie man, He's bigger than Godzilla or the monsters on TV, Yes, God is bigger than the boooogie man, and He's watching over you and me!" Obviously this song is meant for kids, but the practical truth is one that we can learn from even as adults. God is big!!! God is in control!! He is all powerful, sovereign and well able to protect us from harm!!! What about the people who actually have to deal with the tragedy's that are my irrational fears? God is able to give them a supernatural grace in those circumstances!!! This all reminded me of one of my favorite verses when dealing with fear..."Cast all your cares on Him because he cares for you." (1 Pet. 5:7) God cares about our irrational fears...He knows them already. But He doesn't want us to have to live in bondage to them. We can cast them upon Him, because He cares for us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment