Sunday, November 1, 2009

He is still on the throne!

Okay, so I just finished my post about my sweets problem=)

But there is something else on my mind...

For as long as I can remember, Eric has had foot pain. He's not a complainer, so other than a mention of it here or there we didn't really pay much attention to it. We both wrote it off as him being out of shape, wearing the wrong shoes and maybe even an old sports injury. It had been "diagnosed" as plantar fasciitis...so we just assumed that was it.

Then in the past few months, he started having pain in his hip and lower back... And it got worse. A few times he would fall out of bed in the morning because his entire left leg would be numb! This was not cool.

He started out going to a chiropractor, since the back pain was the most annoying. The chiropractor took x-rays and told him that two of his vertebrae at the bottom of his spine were touching and pinching his sciatic nerve. Eric got many many adjustments there, but the pain didn't really go away.

I encouraged him to go to a basic family doctor for a physical, and so he could download about his pain and get a fresh perspective. He went to the doctor and Eric was told again that his foot problem sounded like basic fasciitis, but since he'd been having foot pain for so long (8ish years) the doctor wanted him to see a podiatrist ("foot doctor") for confirmation.

The podiatrist took some x-rays of his foot and immediately ruled out fasciitis since the longest case he's ever heard of lasted only about 15 months. The x-rays immediately showed some sort of weird "bone growth" type thing on his heel bone. Nothing to be concerned about...they can do a quick and easy surgery to fix it, no problem. But the doctor did think it was weird that it was causing him so much pain because these types of things rarely do.... so he ordered an MRI for a better look. And then Eric was called back for another MRI a few days later.

I went with Eric to the follow up appointment to get the results of the MRI. Why was I there? Because I wanted to make sure that we would be able to schedule this "simple" surgery at a good time that would work well around my petty schedule. The news we received was not quite what we planned.

The doctor said that the "irony" of it was that the thing they originally saw on the x-ray was nothing, but that there is a "soft tissue mass with blood flow to it" on the bottom of Eric's foot. He showed us the tumor on the MRI and I immediately began to hate that white blob. The doctor told us about 6 different possibilities of what it could be. In my limited medical understanding (which consists of what i've learned from Grey's Anatomy), I just heard "cancer or not cancer."

Blah Blah Blah...the doctor talked some more and the long and short of it is that Eric has now been referred to Duke to see an orthopedic oncologist. I was so thankful and appreciative for our doctors humility in telling us that Eric needed to see the "best" for this kind of tumor and he wasn't it.

So that's about all we know right now. Tuesday at 11 am is Eric's appointment at Duke. Surgery is in the near future we are told...and it doesn't sound like an easy surgery! And then of course there will be biopsies and so on and so forth.

So anyways...Yes, it stresses me out! Yes, I get scared! I'm not sure how i'm going to take care of my husband after major foot surgery. I don't know how we're going to handle trips back and forth to Duke with Addisyn. I don't know what will happen, if we do find out it's cancer...but I can't worry about that! I have to focus on God's promises to me that are yes and amen! He will never leave me...He works all things together for our good! He loves me, my husband and my child more than I will ever be able to comprehend!!!!

"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul." Ps. 94:19

2 comments: