Tuesday, April 13, 2010

God and Grass

Since we moved into our new house in August of 2008, we (scratch that) Eric has been working very hard to get some "weedless grass" growing in our yard. There wasn't much yard at all when we moved in and so he has seeded multiple times with multiple types of seed and done other stuff (I don't know what). Overall, there has been little success... I must say too that this has been the issue of many arguments because he has spent A LOT of time and money on various grass projects.

I happen to really, really not care about the grass as long as it as cut and green!! I was overjoyed when some weeds started to grow in our yard, because I don't care if it is cut grass or cut weeds as long as it is cut and green in the summer! I have argued with Eric so many times about the waste of money that it is to try and have a golf course-like yard, but I continue to surrender the battles and just write it off as "a guy thing." (Seriously, grass has been my whole "submissive wife" test!)

The most recent development was that Eric hired a guy to come out and spray a "pre-emergent" (spelling?) on our yard which would basically kill everything that wasn't grass (a.k.a. everything). This way he could start from scratch (again) and re-seed once the weeds were dead. I was not happy!! First of all, this all sounds expensive....Second, we're going into Spring and all the lawns in our neighborhood are starting to green up again. I DON'T WANT TO BE THE ONLY BROWN YARD! I DON'T CARE IF IT IS JUST WEEDS!

I caved.... Because the Bible tells wives to submit to their husbands....

(This is going somewhere...)

Recently I have realized that while I didn't see the bigger picture at the time, Eric was right and I think this is going to work! Yes our yard is entirely brown, but there is fresh growth of real grass peeking through everywhere!!



(And this is where it goes somewhere...)

Over the past few days, God has used my yard as a picture of how He wants to work in our lives. Just like I have been willing to settle for weeds in my yard, so many times we are willing to settle in our lives. We settle for second best... settle for partial healing/deliverance... settle for kind of holy and almost righteous... Why? Because we still want to fit in...we don't want to seem weird...we don't want to be the one yard with brown grass when everyone else's is turning green.

God wants so much more for us if we will just die to ourselves 100%! He wants us to be extreme and be willing to kill off everything that is of us in order to allow Him to bring His growth. The best part? God is not going to leave us with dead yards...He makes all things new!

My prayer is for God to kill my yard even more! I don't want to settle for a green yard of weeds... I want real grass:)

And if my husband reads this.... you were right. I was wrong;)

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." Revelation 21:5

4 comments:

  1. Good job. This is great.Love it and love you. Love your new heading from the beach. Addi and her sunglasses are cute as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. it's amazing how God can use things like grass in our front yards to get through something cool to us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this post! I might reference it in my next post!

    ReplyDelete